top of page

Thurlow's Bridge, 1654  
  Middle Road

In May of 1654, the General Court voted "that Richard Thurlow, having built a bridge at his own cost, over Newbury River, hath liberty to take 2d for every horse, cow, oxe...that shall pass over said bridge...provided that passengers shall be free.  For 104 years, Thurlow's Bridge was the only bridge across the Parker River for travelers and commerce on the Bay Road from Boston to the north.  Although at least five bridges have been built on the same spot, they all have been known, even today, as "Thurlow's Bridge."   The third photo here dates from 1968.  The current span was erected in 1995.

Trotter's Bridge, c. 1660     Hanover Street

First mentioned in records of 1660, but probably in use before that time.  The span pictured below is actually span #8 of the Parker River Bridge that was built in 1911, and partially washed away in 1929.  That year this span was relocated over the Little River, in the area where Trotter's Bridge once stood.  The bridge was replaced in 1997.

Four Rock Bridge, c. 1663     Boston Road

In use by 1663, the Four Rock Bridge over the Little River retains the original name of Boston Road - for many years called by the early settlers Four Rock Road.  Currier states that the bridge was once known as "Mill Bridge."

Parker River Bridge, 1758   

  High Road (Route 1A)

For a little over 100 years, the only bridge crossing the Parker River was Thurlow's Bridge (1654), located on Middle Road (south of The Governor's Academy). The first bridge across the Parker River on the High Road (Route 1A), was built under the direction of Ralph Cross in 1758; it considerably shortened the distance to and from Rowley and Ipswich. Although the structure has been repaired and replaced many times since it was built, over it traveled Benedict Arnold in 1775, Washington in 1789, President Munroe in 1817, and the Marquis de Lafayette in 1824.  The 1911 structure was partially washed away in 1929.  The 1930 bridge was replaced with a new structure in 2010.

White's Bridge, c. mid-18th century     Newman Road

It is thought that bridges have existed here since the mid-18th century.  The timber stringer bridge pictured below was built in 1961 and replaced in 2011.