top of page

Landing Place of the First Settlers     Cottage Road, Newbury

In May of 1635, a small group of immigrants rowed from Ipswich to the mouth of the Parker River and landed on the north shore east of the present Parker River bridge.  The sepia image dates probably from the time of the installation of the stone in 1902.  The postcard is incorrectly labeled "Newburyport."

Newbury's First Meetinghouse     Newman Road at Lower Green

Located on Newman Road facing the Lower Green, this monument commemorates Newbury's first meetinghouse.  Like the First Settlers stone, it was installed in 1902 and the postcard incorrectly places it in Newburyport.

First Settlers Monument     Lower Green

Erected in 1905, Elizabeth L. Withington is credited with the success of this venture, as she wrote letters and engaged the interest of descendants.  It is important to note that only descendants of first settlers who gave funds for the monument are listed, not the complete list of first settlers.  The design on top of the granite-based monument is a bronze replica of the Mary and John under full sail, originally executed by the Woodland Foundry.  The original ship was stolen from the top in 1974.  Another was crafted by Rhode Island's Paul King Foundry and the monument was rededicated in 1976.

Benedict Arnold Monument  

  Upper Green

On September 18 and 19, 1775, the Upper Green was the site of a military encampment under the leadership of Benedict Arnold.  This stone and bronze tablet commemorates the event.

The Milestones

During the early 1700s, the entire Bay Road was marked with milestones. Four of Newbury's original five milestones still stand.  The stone at the Governor Dummer Mansion House is inscribed 5N (Newbury 5 miles) and 33B (Boston 33 miles) and dated 1708.  The next milestone, 34, near the corner of Middle and Orchard Streets, had been lost for almost a century when it was discovered in the 1970s face down near its original spot.  The current stone is a replica of the original.  The next stone, marked 35B, stands at the corner of Middle Road and Boston Street.  The stone near the Four Rock Bridge is inscribed 36B, and at the corner of Green and Hanover Streets the last marker gives the distance to Boston, B37, on its face and on opposite ends the distance to Portsmouth, P28, and to Ipswich, I10.  The milestones are for the most part rough fieldstone, thought to be diorite, with crudely carved letters and ciphers.  Newbury's stones are adorned with symbols such as triangles, whirls, and crossed circles whose meanings have been the subject of extensive study.